EN

Battery electric trains and charging station coming soon

16.07.2026.

Contracts on the financing and purchase of six battery electric trains and the construction of a hybrid charging station at Kotoriba terminal, totalling of EUR 53.6 million, were signed on Thursday in Banski Dvori in the presence of Prime Minister Andrej Plenković.

The grant agreement for investment in battery electric multiple units (BEMU) and the construction of a charging station was signed by Deputy Prime Minister and minister of the sea, transport and infrastructure Oleg Butković, minister of environmental protection and green transition Marija Vučković, director of the Environmental Protection and Energy Efficiency Fund Luka Balen, and president of the HŽ Putnički prijevoz (Passenger Transport) Management Board Željko Ukić.   

During the event, Prime Minister Plenković pointed out that this project was an excellent example of utilisation of resources from the Modernisation Fund. "We invest funds in projects that reduce greenhouse gas emissions, thus increasing energy efficiency and strengthening the competitiveness of the Croatian economy. EUR 53.6 million for 6 new electric battery trains and the construction of a charging station in Kotoriba clearly demonstrates how we are investing these funds in the Croatian economy," said Prime Minister Plenković.

Emphasising the importance of infrastructure investments in the railway and the ongoing expansion of train fleet for the long-term development of Croatia, Deputy Prime Minister and minister Butković said that there were 70 new low-floor trains in Croatia today. Butković says that over a billion and a half euros are being invested in the reconstruction and construction of new railway infrastructure. "Battery and battery electric trains in traffic have proven to be a great asset. I am especially pleased that they will be produced in Croatia, because in addition to the modernisation of the railway, we are also strengthening the domestic industry," said Butković.

In the context of investments in sustainable mobility and environmental protection, minister Vučković emphasised that the procurement of electric battery trains, fully financed from the Modernisation Fund, was an important contribution to reducing pollution, decarbonising transport, and achieving the green transition goals, adding: "This is one of the best examples of investments. With this project, we are simultaneously financing decarbonisation and environmental protection. We will not stop there. Based on good strategic programming, we are among the first five Member States to submit a draft of our Social Climate Action Plan, whereby we want to adequately address reducing the risk of energy and transport poverty.” As part of this plan, the financing of 30 new trains and three charging stations was also announced.

Underlining the importance of continuing investment in sustainable transport and green transition, the director of the Fund Balen said that this agreement marked continuous policy of the Government of the Republic of Croatia regarding decarbonisation and e-mobility. He reminded that contracts for electric buses and charging stations had already been concluded under the National Recovery and Resilience Plan. "We are continuously encouraging e-mobility through incentives for energy-efficient vehicles for our citizens, for our entrepreneurs and trades. This contract not only contributes to decarbonisation and reduction of harmful gas emissions, it contributes to the quality of transport for our citizens."

This project will significantly improve rail passenger transport in northern Croatia, where new trains will be in service. They will be put into operation in 2028 and early 2029. After the construction of 6 charging stations for battery trains, the first hybrid charging station is being built at Kotoriba terminal, i.e. a charging station with a PV power plant and an energy storage system.

"The greatest advantage of battery electric trains is that they can run on both electrified and non-electrified lines. This means that we’ll provide passengers with travel without the need to transfer, and with a higher level of quality and comfort. The new trains will be fully adapted to people with disabilities, cyclists and all passengers who expect a modern service - from free internet access and sockets for charging devices to a display system for timely information during the journey. This project is another important step towards a modern, reliable, accessible and environmentally friendly railway, service" said the President of the Management Board of HŽ Passenger Transport Ukić.
On non-electrified lines, battery electric trains will use batteries for propulsion (maximum speed 120 km/h), and on electrified lines, electricity from the overhead contact line (maximum speed 160 km/h). The batteries will be charged from the overhead contact line or at charging stations. The trains will have 150 seats. In transport, it will be possible to couple several train units to ensure greater capacity. 

"With this agreement, we further confirm our position as one of Europe's leading rolling stock manufacturers in the field of green and advanced technologies. The electric battery trains that we develop, design and manufacture in Croatia are the result of the knowledge, experience and innovation potential of domestic experts and represent a new technological breakthrough of the Končar Group. The contract includes not only the delivery of new trains, but also the implementation of a complete energy solution, which further confirms the ability to develop and implement complex projects that simultaneously contribute to the modernisation of the railway system, energy efficiency, and green transition of transport", said Gordan Kolak, President of the Management Board of Končar.